Recipe is at bottom, you can use these photos for reference though!!
A Chinese dish that is often made for Chinese Lunar New Year but can be eaten year round at dim sum restaurants. This recipe may differ from restaurants, but my mom and I use whatever ingredients we have on hand and vary the recipe from there.Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 80 minutes
- 1 package (16oz) glutinous rice flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 large radish, shredded
- 1/2 cup Chinese sausage, finely diced
- 1/2 cup conpoy (dried scallops), soaked
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 block rock brown sugar
- dash white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- Combine 4 cups of water and the package of glutinous rice flour, mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the Chinese sausage, stir, saute until browned on the outside. Add the convoy, stir.
- Add the shredded radish, and mix everything together. Then add the block of rock brown sugar and cook, covered, until the sugar has melted. About 5-7 minutes, you can uncover and stir the mixture around towards the end. You'll also want to cover the sugar under the shredded radish to get it to melt a bit quicker.
- Uncover, shake in a dash of white pepper, to taste. Add the sesame oil. Stir the mixture.
- Reduce to medium heat. Using a ladle, slowly add the glutinous rice flour mixture into the radish mixture. Continue stirring until the mixture has thickened up.
- Remove from heat and add INTO the glutinous rice flour mixture, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Stir and mix until everything is thoroughly combined and dispersed throughout.
- Pour into any sort of circular pan with high sides. The one in the pictures is a 10" pan. Steam, covered, for 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.